4.22.2011

Fighting for Crumbs

The water was so clear that you could see to the bottom.  The fish, plants, and rocks were clearly visible, almost like an aquarium.  As I sat beside the Gideon Springs in the land of Israel, I attempted to take some time to pray and read God's word.  However, I was distracted.  A small boy and his father tossed a large piece of bread in the water and I watched with intrigue as a large school of fish swarmed around the food and began devouring the morsel of bread.  The intensity of the struggle was demonstrated by the way the bread bobbed up and down in the water.  The smaller fish had a significant disadvantage because of their size, however, they joined the fight as well by launching themselves into the fray from above, continually leaping out of the water and over the bigger fish.  I began to acquire a feeling of sympathy for the smaller fish when suddenly I noticed a second piece of bread thrown into the water by the small boy.  I was relieved to see that more food was provided until I noticed a strange occurrence took place.  The bread was left untouched.  While it is true that the boy had not thrown the bread quite as far as the first time, it was not more than 10 feet from the battle of the bread.  I was baffled.  How could they not see or notice?  I wanted to shout to the fish and make them aware of the additional food that was provided.  But they could not hear nor understand. 

How many times are we like those little fish?  We exert ourselves to the fullest in pursuit of the meager meal which everyone else is fighting for, when God the Father has sent His son to provide a banquet for us to enjoy if we will turn our back on that which cannot satisfy.  We struggle and fight for table scraps of temporary satisfaction that will cause us to return for more when Christ has "...preparest a table before [us] in the presence of mine enemies." (Psalm 23:5)  Are you satisfied with the green pastures that your Good Shepherd has led you to, or are you wandering off to eat of the grass that is "greener on the other side?"

Take a step back.  Look around.  Do you see the futility of striving for worldly pleasures that will only satisfy for a season?  Partake of the feast which your Heavenly Father has prepared.  Stop fighting for the crumbs!!!

And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. (John 6:35)
 
 
Learning by the waters of the Gideon Springs